A seat-shaped boulder forms the base of “Throne,” which began as a nod to Breckenridge’s playful self-designation as a kingdom in 1936, when it was discovered that the town had been left off a U.S. map despite the fact that it was founded in 1859. Viewers can climb onto the Town-commissioned sculpture for a photo under its steel crown, and enjoy the kinetic, stained glass shields high above it, their colorful reflections morphing with sun and wind.

Commissioned by the Town of Breckenridge